Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Halo - The Artifact

Decided I'd do the Ark Portal (The Artifact) first as it would be the easiest in terms of modeling and would let me play with terrain sculpting in CE3 some more. Not being able to use a brush greater than 200m wide sucks when you're working with a 8x8km map. My "Artifact" is about 4.8 km in diameter... the "real" thing is 120km wide, supposedly. I think the scale looks pretty decent in-game. The only unfortunate bit of this... is that I don't think I'll be able to put in a glow effect for the molten rock on the edges of the artifact, where it should have been recently "glassed" by the Covenant. Because first, the Terrain.layer material type does not support emissive glows, and the material type that does support it seems to fade from view rather quickly when painted onto terrain (thankfully it seems it'll still work for the artifact, given its size).

What I've got so far, untextured artifact and mostly done terrain (will have to add some overhanging cliff ledges here and there). Will also end up having to model and texture the Forerunner Dreadnought.


No comments:

Post a Comment