Sunday, February 3, 2013

NavTac - Log #2

Yesterday and today, the scripts came together that will control ship movement and designating targets for each ship, as well as a simple health script. So now, after dragging a path, the ships will begin to follow them. They do have a limited turning radius though so cannot simply turn in place or on a dime - I will have to implement functionality for the ships to slow down a bit when sharp turns are coming up to follow the path more strictly. Also now, when dragging from a ship, if you let go of the mouse button over an enemy ship, that will set it as the current target (though you will still have to give it movement orders to get there!). The health script currently just managed the amount of health each ship has and its public functions for changing it - not yet sure if I'll need any more than that for this, we'll see.

Next up on the list, I think I'm going to focus on asset production before continuing with scripting, so that I have more to work with. Then I need to touch up the path generation and movements scripts I've already made and make the following corrections/changes:
  1. Increase drag on the ship's velocity based on how sharp upcoming turns are (so they slow down for tighter turns)
  2. Only begin to decelerate when near the "true" end of the path. Currently, it slows down when it is physically near the end of the path, regardless of how far it still has to travel, so I need to base it on path completion as well.
  3. Delete points on the path as they are reached.
  4. Change the style of the marker and snap it over targets when hovering over them.
  5. Make the rays used to plot waypoints ignore terrain.
As for the paths themselves, I may end up looking into Vectrosity or learn to use the Mesh functions in Unity, because the standard Line Renderer available is too limited and won't achieve what I want.

No comments:

Post a Comment