Friday, February 1, 2013

NavTac

Oh my jeebus I made a total of two posts in 2012. Good thing the world didn't end, now I have the chance to make it right!

So since the last post, some pretty good progress was made on that sub game but I ended up abandoning it mostly due to lack of interest. Took too many breaks from working on it and it started feeling like a chore, plus the entirely 2D thing wasn't really lucrative when I'm the one doing the 2D artwork. I've really switch focus from modeling (which eventually I still do want to get better at) to game dev and animation. I'm currently the animator working on an upcoming survival/adventure game called Elyot and the Island of Pongo, doing all the creature animations and the few required human animations.

As far as personal projects go, I'm currently soloing a new one which I WILL FINISH this time no matter what. I'm really interested in this idea I have and want to see it through. It will be a simplified naval strategy game for android to begin with, possibly for iOS and the web as well if it's well-received. The gist of the game is that you will control a fleet of ships charged with either eliminating an enemy fleet or, more commonly, capturing an island by deploying marines onto it. Most missions will involve ship-to-ship combat as well as the necessity to support your autonomous marines on the island with coastal bombardments as they capture control points.

Controls will be simple: drag your finger/mouse to plot a path for each ship to follow, or drag it to an enemy to have them engage it. Visually, there will be mostly solid colors, slightly Tron-like, but not quite holographic. It will look more like a virtual simulation than real textured objects.

Ship with movement path plotted.
As of today I've worked on it for a few days. I've generated some ocean textures, set up a grid overlay, modeled a ship to test with, and tonight nearly finalized the major script which will manage pretty much all of the input and path-waypoint generation for the ships. It's only 234 lines so far but definitely the most complicated script I've written yet in Unity. Next I work on movement and getting the ships to follow those paths.

No comments:

Post a Comment